The word ‘ulli’ in Malayalam alludes to little shallots/onions/sambar onion. Theeyal implies consumed dish, alluding to simmered coconut utilized as the primary fixing and is typically dim dark colored in shading, enhanced with tamarind. It runs well with rice and any side dish.
Theeyal is adaptable and can be set up with pearl onion, bitter gourd, brinjal, yam, okra, in some cases with blended vegetables or even with fish, shrimp-prawns and so on. In certain pieces of Kerala, theeyal is incorporated into a conventional sadya menu. There are a few forms and changes produced using locale to district in Kerala, yet this is the manner in which I make it and appreciate it! Attempt this variant and let me know how it turned out mates.
Theeyal implies consumed dish, alluding to simmered coconut that is utilized as the fundamental fixing and is generally dim darker in shading, seasoned with tamarind. It runs well with rice and any side dish.
- 15-20 Small Onions /Shallots
- 1/2 cup Grated Coconut
- 1 small lemon sized Tamarind
- 11/2 tsp Coriander seeds
- 5-6 Dried Red Chillies
- 5-10 Whole Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- a pinch of Asafoetida
- Fenugreek Powder: a pinch
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- a few Curry Leaves
- a pinch of Sugar
- Oil as required
- Salt to taste
- Cut the little onions long wise into meager pieces. Absorb tamarind some warm water and take the concentrate from it.
- Warmth 1 tsp of oil stir fry the coriander seeds, red chilly, black pepper corns, cumin seeds,turmeric powder and grated coconut till it gives a fragrance and swings to darker in shading. Keep it aside and let it cool. Granulate it to a smooth paste. (Note: Make beyond any doubt not consume the flavors)
- Warmth 2 tbsp of oil; splutter mustard seeds, include , cut little onions, curry leaves and saute till the onion turn light dark colored in shading.
- Include asafoetida, fenugreek powder and salt into it. Saute for some time.
- Include tamarind extricate into it and enable it to bubble for 4-5 minutes by stirring once in a while. (Note: Add water if important)
- Include the ground paste and sugar into it and stew for further 3-4 minutes. Expel from the flame and serve hot with steamed rice and Enjoy!